ASPRAY BOAT HOUSE
Now a community center and meeting hall, this building used to be a boathouse. This is the head-quarters for the Gaspee Days Committee, the Pawtuxet Village Association and Pawtuxet Land Trust.
THE BANK CAFE
Located at 40 Post Road, the Bank Cafe was built in 1815 by the Rhodes family in the Federal style. A two and a half story structure, the Bank Cafe was originally the first bank in the area. The top floor was once a finishing school for girls, but since 1874, when James Tinker assumed ownership, the building has been used almost exclusively as a dining establishment. The bank's original vault was used as a wine cellar. Currently a private dwelling.
DRUM ROCK ROAD OFF OF RTE. 117, NEAR RTE. 95
Legend has it that this rock once created a deep, booming sound, like a drum. The common story is that Indians once used Drum Rock for sending messages. We do know that this was once a great gathering place for tribes converging near the Pequot Trail.
The rock itself was delicately balanced on two points and could be easily moved by hand, or rocked by the wind, and with that rocking, it created the distinctive sound.
At one time, the rock was the symbol of Apponaug, its image replicated for parades. Today, Drum Rock is silent, having been moved from it¹s original position because it made too much noise for nearby neighbors.
CLOUDS HILL VICTORIAN HOUSE MUSEUM
4157 POST ROAD
Clouds Hill Victorian House Museum is a Rhode Island nonprofit corporation operating an historic Victorian home located in Warwick, Rhode Island as a museum for the public.
The house is an important part of the history of the City of Warwick and the State of Rhode Island. It was built in 1872 by William Smith Slater for his daughter, Elizabeth Ives Slater, on her marriage to Alfred Augustus Reed, Jr. It has remained in the family since it was built, passing from female to female until reaching the current owner.
STEAMSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA
2500 POST ROAD
SSHSA stewards a collection of hundreds of thousands of images, artifacts, periodicals, artwork, official records, memorabilia, and ephemera archived in more than 100 collections and devoted exclusively to the history of engine-powered vessels, their passengers and crew. SSHSA also publishes the quarterly magazine PowerShips and has taken on the role of conservationist through our digital conservation project, the Image Porthole.
WARWICK CITY HALL
3275 POST RD.
Built in 1893-94, this building features a six-story clock tower which is visible for miles around. Designed by the
architectural firm of William R. Walker & Son, City Hall cost $75,000 to erect and was built to replace the Town House, clerk's office and stables which had stood on this spot for the previous sixty years. On the second floor is the Town Scale and
Council Chambers, while the remainders
of what once were the city's jail cells are
in the basement. Tours of the building are available.